My past few weeks have been filled with a lot of event-related stuff.
I was in Austin, TX for SxSW 2009 from March 13-18. This was my third trip (went in 05 & 06) and definitely not going to be the last one.
What I liked:
- Leah Buley (slide), CSS Showdown, Microformats panel, Gary Vaynerchuk (video)
- WordPress Lunch at Conjunctured co-working space
- EllisLab Party & Breakfast (More on Expression Engine 2.0 Preview is on their blog)
- Tumblr Party
What I didn’t like:
- The Convention Center’s floor plan. One time I ended up on the first floor trying to get to the third. Yes, I tend to get lost pretty easy, but still.
- AT & T connection was so bad, we were emailing & using twitter message over wifi instad of texting.
- I probably missed too many good panels.
There are many anectodotal experiences to explain how special this event is, but I’ll just leave it at that for now.
WordCamp Tokyo 2009 & WordCamp Kansai Party
We opened up registeration for WordCamp Japan events in April (April 10th in Osaka & 12th in Tokyo). Total of over 100 people signed up in less than 24 hours!
It’s been a crazy process to try to get so many things figured out for the events. Okay, I just complained a little about SxSW venue but I do have so much more respect for people organizing big events now.
Ferndale WordPress Meetup
Our first WordPress meetup went really well. I was worried only a couple people would show up, but ended up having 10 people. I heard a lot of “when is the next one?” “we should do this more often!” so I think people were pretty happy that they came. Thanks for coming! I also have to thank this guy for helping me & making it happen.
My goal is to grow WordPress community in the area and to have a WordCamp in Michigan someday!