Solving Feed List Plugin Encoding Issue

I started having encoding issues with Feed List plugin sometime between I installed it and maybe when I upgraded to WP 2.2. It took me a while to find this out because I don’t look at my blog’s homepage that often; I usually only see the admin area & individual post page for preview. Unless I had special character in my feed item, it wasn’t noticeable.

But anyways, I had been played around with the plugin and I finally fixed it. Since I saw many people asking about the same issue on the plugin author’s page & google group, I wanted to share what I did here.

For this WordPress 2.3.1 blog, these settings worked:

  • Feed source: del.icio.us RSS, converted using FeedBurner
  • Feed List Plugin Version: 2.2
  • My custom settings (everything else except RSS URL is default):
    • “num_items”=> 8
    • “show_description”=>false
    • “suppress_link”=>false

All special characters show up fine now, including Japanese characters.
Example: http://blog.detlog.org/ (See “My Recent Bookmarks” on the side)

The key (for me) was to just use FeedBurner RSS instead of original del.icio.us version.
So you might want to try either using original one or converted FeedBurner RSS.